Jewelry Making/Damaged Silver Necklace

My husband wore his David Yurman sterling silver cross with black diamonds in our condo's pool. A few hours later the sterling silver box chain and the cross had turned a dark brown/black. I have no clue what kind of chemicals are in this pool. Do you know why the chain and cross would change colors like this and is there anyway to restore the chain and cross back to its original state?
Thank you for your time,

You can try using distilled water, baking soda, in an aluminum tray. You might want to heat the water first. This should. Help remove most of the tarnish inexpensively. Or you can spend the $$ and buy tarnex or tarnix not sure hot the spell it  but it works well . However neither will bring the shine back. You might have to use a hand cloth or have a jeweler polish it. Make sure he has lots of experience polishing chains. It is easy to destroy one with a polishing machine. Also make sure you rinse with distilled water after cleaning .
I hope this helps, don't forget not to swim in your jewelry anymore.

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen

I have been in the Jewelry Industry 20 years and Apprenticed as a silver smith took classes in Casting sculpting repair and trained under master gold and silver smiths as well as some experience in Faceting and diamond cutting and polishing for repair. Plating, Wax work, Diamond Setting, Engraving, Carving, Mold Making, design, some watch repair, tool making, enamel work, refining, mining, sales, sand blasting, casting. Have worked in Platinum, Gold, Silver, Pewter, Brass, Bronze, Aluminum,Steel,Titanium,Wood, Plastic, and Stone. 10 years Appraisal work in Jewelry.

20 years commercial experience in Repair Manufacturing and sales of Jewelry 3 years school 4 year apprentice. Worked on the duplication of the treasure found on the Spanish Galleon Maravalla by Dr. Cecil Humphreys. Traveled with and manufactured the souvenirs and miscellaneous replicas from the King Tut Exhibit when it visited the US.

Former member AGTA and GIA and a ten year member of Memphis Jewelers association. 17 years experience in Tuscon Jewelry shows buying and selling.

JCK Tuscon Show Gude

Classes at MSU and The Memphis art academy in Jewelry sculpting, Specialized Repair school, and 2 apprenticeships in Silversmithing from Juelius Astor, and Goldsmithing from Katchic Yacubian both masters for over 35 years each.Studied with Dr. Richard Prilliman, and several others.

JCK Tuscon Show honorable mention in design.

Dr. Cecil Humphreys Finder of the Spanish Galleon Maravalla, The Vanderbilts, Miscellaneous repair antique estate pieces. Elvis Presley Repair and Appraise 2 pieces of jewelry. Rifat Hassan and Nihall Mumtaz With the King Tut Exhibit. Trade work for over 36 Major Chains from Zales to Sams.