Jewelry Making/cabochon mounting

QUESTION: I make and repair jewelry for the ACS, a cabochon was donated in a gold color setting but instead of a loop to hang it there are two raised metal bumps near the top of the mounting?  I'm trying to figure out what they were for and how to remount this into a necklace.
Thank you for your help.

ANSWER: Susan If you could post a picture of the piece it might help me to interpret your piece a little more accurately. I have seen similar pieces that snapped into a bracelet similar to a safety catch snapping onto a ball to add a stone on a bracelet, perhaps that is what you have. It is difficult to know without seeing the piece.
I hope this helps, looking forward to seeing your cab.

cabachon prongs?
cabachon prongs?  

cabachon prongs?
cabachon prongs?  
QUESTION: Thank you Chris for your answer,  I have attached two pictures that will hopefully help you solve my problem.

Sue, that definitely looks like it was made to add to multiple pieces.  A plate with holes and a safety clasp wire snap closure clip to hold a bale or both ends of several different chains, beads, or bales. A simple plate with a hole and a wire snap safety clasp style could be made with a catch to fit a specific catch or a bale would allow the cab to fit several different outfits. It's very unusual, but not unheard of. Did you notice the dark line on the side of one of the posts? It probably denotes the thickness of the plate for the attached clip here is a photo of a similar post with clips on both sides holding a bale, but no wire snap.:

Her is another type:

I hope this helps,

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen

I have been in the Jewelry Industry 20 years and Apprenticed as a silver smith took classes in Casting sculpting repair and trained under master gold and silver smiths as well as some experience in Faceting and diamond cutting and polishing for repair. Plating, Wax work, Diamond Setting, Engraving, Carving, Mold Making, design, some watch repair, tool making, enamel work, refining, mining, sales, sand blasting, casting. Have worked in Platinum, Gold, Silver, Pewter, Brass, Bronze, Aluminum,Steel,Titanium,Wood, Plastic, and Stone. 10 years Appraisal work in Jewelry.

20 years commercial experience in Repair Manufacturing and sales of Jewelry 3 years school 4 year apprentice. Worked on the duplication of the treasure found on the Spanish Galleon Maravalla by Dr. Cecil Humphreys. Traveled with and manufactured the souvenirs and miscellaneous replicas from the King Tut Exhibit when it visited the US.

Former member AGTA and GIA and a ten year member of Memphis Jewelers association. 17 years experience in Tuscon Jewelry shows buying and selling.

JCK Tuscon Show Gude

Classes at MSU and The Memphis art academy in Jewelry sculpting, Specialized Repair school, and 2 apprenticeships in Silversmithing from Juelius Astor, and Goldsmithing from Katchic Yacubian both masters for over 35 years each.Studied with Dr. Richard Prilliman, and several others.

JCK Tuscon Show honorable mention in design.

Dr. Cecil Humphreys Finder of the Spanish Galleon Maravalla, The Vanderbilts, Miscellaneous repair antique estate pieces. Elvis Presley Repair and Appraise 2 pieces of jewelry. Rifat Hassan and Nihall Mumtaz With the King Tut Exhibit. Trade work for over 36 Major Chains from Zales to Sams.