Jewelry Making/Marking my silver.

Question
Hi Chris,

I have been curious about how to stamp my own hand crafted 925 silver jewelry. I use a 925 stamp but when I took a local course the workshop said not to stamp 925 on your jewelry to just leave it. I thought that by law marking the quality was necessary, is this not the case? I am from Canada, but I assume that it would be similar in all of North America. If you have any insight into this I would appreciate some information. Thank you in advance.

Answer
Margo, The .925 stamp denotes 92&1/2 % pure silver. If you have tested the piece & or purchased the metal from a reputable manufacturer,  most artists will mark the percentag of silver in their piece using this method, however in the US a manufacture must not only mark his piece with the percentage of pure metal , but it must also have their manufacturers registered trade mark. Most prolific quality artists will do the same
Especially if they expect to sell their work.
You might like to read this article:
http://jewelrymakingjournal.com/start-a-jewelry-business/

I hope this helps,
Chris  

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen