Jewelry Making/ear posts and ear nuts

QUESTION: I'll be purchasing 10mm posts for the earrings I am making (flat backs).  How do I know what size ear nut to buy for it? I never know what to do when the nuts don't come with the posts! Thanks very much.

ANSWER: Patty,
That's usually an easy fix.
most earbacks are friction and will fit most posts, but if you can order the back based on the thickness of the post it will help. If the back is too loose you can tighten the back by pushing down with a small flat end of a nail in a stick to cause the gap to narrow. If it is too small usually the pointed end of a nail will expand the hole a little.  Some ear backs also have a loop that can be moved in or out with round nose pliers. The best solution is to buy them together or measure the diameter of the post when ordering the backs they usually use millimeters.
I hope this helps.

QUESTION: But how many mm's over 10mm would an effective ear nut be?

Patty, 10mm sounds like a length measurement on the earring not a width. A dime is 1 mm thick.
I'm not quite sure that we are talking about the same thing. that would be the size of 10 dimes on top of each other, about the length of the post not the width.

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen

I have been in the Jewelry Industry 20 years and Apprenticed as a silver smith took classes in Casting sculpting repair and trained under master gold and silver smiths as well as some experience in Faceting and diamond cutting and polishing for repair. Plating, Wax work, Diamond Setting, Engraving, Carving, Mold Making, design, some watch repair, tool making, enamel work, refining, mining, sales, sand blasting, casting. Have worked in Platinum, Gold, Silver, Pewter, Brass, Bronze, Aluminum,Steel,Titanium,Wood, Plastic, and Stone. 10 years Appraisal work in Jewelry.

20 years commercial experience in Repair Manufacturing and sales of Jewelry 3 years school 4 year apprentice. Worked on the duplication of the treasure found on the Spanish Galleon Maravalla by Dr. Cecil Humphreys. Traveled with and manufactured the souvenirs and miscellaneous replicas from the King Tut Exhibit when it visited the US.

Former member AGTA and GIA and a ten year member of Memphis Jewelers association. 17 years experience in Tuscon Jewelry shows buying and selling.

JCK Tuscon Show Gude

Classes at MSU and The Memphis art academy in Jewelry sculpting, Specialized Repair school, and 2 apprenticeships in Silversmithing from Juelius Astor, and Goldsmithing from Katchic Yacubian both masters for over 35 years each.Studied with Dr. Richard Prilliman, and several others.

JCK Tuscon Show honorable mention in design.

Dr. Cecil Humphreys Finder of the Spanish Galleon Maravalla, The Vanderbilts, Miscellaneous repair antique estate pieces. Elvis Presley Repair and Appraise 2 pieces of jewelry. Rifat Hassan and Nihall Mumtaz With the King Tut Exhibit. Trade work for over 36 Major Chains from Zales to Sams.