Jewelry Making/Silver options in jewelry making

I am starting to make my own jewelry (mostly beaded bracelets and necklaces) and for the sake of quality and longevity what is my best silver option for findings, clasps, jump rings, etc?  My concerns are tarnishing, strength and long term reaction to wear with regards to sweat, perfume and water. My obvious options are sterling silver and silverplate. I want to be able to guarantee my product, so I would appreciate any advice that you would be able to give me.  Thank You

Maria, Sterling is always a great option and a respected, well known, and reasonably priced option. Stainless is less money, less tarnish, higher durability, but also less in demand.
Gold is more cost but will demand more price especially with the natural gemstone pieces.
Plated silver I don't recommend neither do I plated gold it is bottom choice, both durability, and value. Gold filled is another option you might consider however with gold going up as it has done that price may be to out of budget but does hold up better than plate. Both Gold filled and Sterling do still tarnish but usually not as bad and Sterling can always be polished. 3M company makes special coated paper that can be used in boxes to store Sterling to avoid tarnish as well as cleaning and tarnish removal fluids and cloths. Usually Sterling can be cleaned with warm water Baking soda and an Aluminum pan. It is a great recommendation to customers and very inexpensive way to remove tarnish and a rouge polishing cloth to brighten after the tarnish is washed off.
I have to say thanks to you, it is always fun to help other jewelry enthusiasts with their projects, and occasionally it helps me to widen my horizons as well, in researching your answer i stumbled on to this great website I hope you enjoy it and get a great source for alternative metals to use and promote with your jewelry. This site has a lot of great information:
I hope this helps you with your choices...

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen

I have been in the Jewelry Industry 20 years and Apprenticed as a silver smith took classes in Casting sculpting repair and trained under master gold and silver smiths as well as some experience in Faceting and diamond cutting and polishing for repair. Plating, Wax work, Diamond Setting, Engraving, Carving, Mold Making, design, some watch repair, tool making, enamel work, refining, mining, sales, sand blasting, casting. Have worked in Platinum, Gold, Silver, Pewter, Brass, Bronze, Aluminum,Steel,Titanium,Wood, Plastic, and Stone. 10 years Appraisal work in Jewelry.

20 years commercial experience in Repair Manufacturing and sales of Jewelry 3 years school 4 year apprentice. Worked on the duplication of the treasure found on the Spanish Galleon Maravalla by Dr. Cecil Humphreys. Traveled with and manufactured the souvenirs and miscellaneous replicas from the King Tut Exhibit when it visited the US.

Former member AGTA and GIA and a ten year member of Memphis Jewelers association. 17 years experience in Tuscon Jewelry shows buying and selling.

JCK Tuscon Show Gude

Classes at MSU and The Memphis art academy in Jewelry sculpting, Specialized Repair school, and 2 apprenticeships in Silversmithing from Juelius Astor, and Goldsmithing from Katchic Yacubian both masters for over 35 years each.Studied with Dr. Richard Prilliman, and several others.

JCK Tuscon Show honorable mention in design.

Dr. Cecil Humphreys Finder of the Spanish Galleon Maravalla, The Vanderbilts, Miscellaneous repair antique estate pieces. Elvis Presley Repair and Appraise 2 pieces of jewelry. Rifat Hassan and Nihall Mumtaz With the King Tut Exhibit. Trade work for over 36 Major Chains from Zales to Sams.