Jewelry Making/Melting silver

Question
QUESTION: I have a bunch of sterling jewelry that I would like to melt down into ingots.  I'm going to be using a glass-firing kiln, with a silica crucible and a graphite mold.  I need to know the process, as far as how to prepare the crucible and mold before actually melting the silver.  Also, should I put the crucible, silver pieces and mold into the oven when it's cold and let them all heat up with each other? I have powdered borax that came with the crucible.  All the information I can find explains how to melt the silver with a torch, not a kiln.  Can you help?

Thanks,
Laura

ANSWER: Laura,
I would recommend a torch or an electric smelter, whoever is easier for you. Either way it will cost quite a bit just to melt a little scrap to make some ingots. Most refineries charge a fee of about $150.00 plus shipping & return about 98% of spot in ingots, coins, or casting grain, and if you know the quality of what you have & the amount,  companies like Hoover & Strong are very reliable & much safer, and much more acurate, not to mention accurate &economical. A good smelter will cost you $800- $1500. A torch kit (oxy/acetylene) will run you $400-600. 00 plus gas or electricity to operate which all reduce your profit. Un less you plan to get into the business on a regular basis I recommend the refineries. I prefer the torch persomally, but there is a learning curve for using it and not boiling the metal and remember safety equipment, and a well ventilated area.a good leather apron & heavy welding gloves are also a must, and don't forget the crucible prep , glaze it well with borax first, we always had separate crucibles for each type of metal.
I hope this helps,
Chris.

QUESTION: Thank you, I will look into the refinery option.  If I do use the kiln, do I put all three items in when I turn it on and let them heat up together?

Thanks,
Laura

Answer
As long as your crucibles are large enough, and your oven gets hot enough, 1,763F (961.8C) is the melting point of silver, don't forget to get a carbon or a steel rod to clean off the slag/trash before you pour, & use your gloves and safety equipment.
Let me know if you need anything else.
Chris

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen