Jewelry Making/Jewelry Making

Question
Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to add a diamond and prongs to a plain band. I have a round diamond already and would like to use it for a solitaire engagement ring. Is this possible? Is there a certain band I should by? Thank you.

Answer
Martha,
Many Jewelry manufactures sell heads to solder on to bands. It depends on the type of band you have as to the type of head you would order. Most Jewelers can help you with that if you don't have the experience at using a torch to solder it on. there is a split head with 4,6, or more prongs that you would cut the band and notch it to fit in between the prongs to be soldered in place or there is a peg head which has a peg that you drill a hole in the band and then put the peg into the hole and solder the head there. There are also round based heads that you can drill a hole and insert the entire base of the head into the hole and solder it on. it all depends on the size of your stone and the shape as well as the type band you have.
Most jewelers can easily do this for you.I hope this helps you.
Good luck
Chris  

Jewelry Making

Chris Eilertsen