Jewish Food/Kosher food

In one of Tony Robbin's books(he is a self-help guru) he claims that kosher meat before it has been spiced, has no flavour/taste in it. He states that this is because the taste comes from the blood in the meat so that since kosher practices let out all the blood beforehand, the taste vanishes as well along with the blood. is this correct? Robbins is a near-vegan so may be exaggerating, I just wanted to confirm. Also, where could I, as a Gentile, get hold of kosher meat before it has been spiced?

Also, could you give me a rough idea as to what foods are allowed by mainstream Jews, or perhaps tell me if people from some branches of Jewish religion can more or less eat anything, and how much stricter the Orthodox/Ultra-Orthodox  Jews have to be as regards kosher food?

HI Gerald,

I think Tony Robbins might be wrong about this. Just to clarify, the red juice in raw red meat (even non-Kosher meat) is not blood. Nearly all blood is removed from meat during slaughter, which is why you don’t see blood in raw “white meats”. An extremely small amount of blood remains within the muscle tissue when you get it from the store. Meat contain quite a bit of water.  This water, mixed with a protein called "Myoglobin", ends up comprising most of that red liquid. This is the "juice" that all meat, even Kosher meats, contain.

The purpose of Kosher meat is that it's meant to ensure a humane and clean slaughter process. It's never been my experience that Kosher meat is any less flavorful or juicy than non-Kosher meats. It seems to me that how any meat is prepared, determines how it will taste.

If you are a practicing Jew, then it's never allowable to eat non-Kosher food. But, the level of how one keeps Kosher can vary greatly. Reformed Jews (the least strict) can be more liberal in their observance of the Kosher laws. Some will buy products without Kosher certification (the circle K, a star with a K in it, or circle U that can be seen on many food packaging) as long as they do not find non-kosher ingredients on the ingredient list. Others will eat food cooked in a non-kosher restaurant or in their home as long as the meal does not contain non-kosher meat, this is known as "Kosher style".

The Orthodox and Ultra-Orthodox Jews do make these "short cuts". They strictly observe the Kosher laws without exception, even when traveling or out of their homes. Here is a link with info on the foods allowed if you're following the rule of keeping Kosher:

I hope I've been a help.
Happy Thanksgiving!

Jewish Food

I can answer questions regarding the Jewish religion, its beliefs, practices, holidays, food, culture, and people.

I was raised in an Orthodox Jewish home.

I hold a Bachelor of fine Arts degree, and though that has nothing to do with my expertise on this subject, it's a required field to fill in.