Jewish Food/Magel Jewish Stuffing

QUESTION: I am trying to find a recipe for magel stuffing.  Are the ingredients fine matzo meal, onions (should they be grated or chopped and fried off with schmaltz?) and an egg, but I am unclear of the quantities.  Can this recipe also be made with margarine instead of schmaltz.  This recipe always reminds me of my mum, who is no longer around.  I hope you can help.  Many thanks.

Hi Giuliana,

Margarine or any of the vegetable oil can definitely be used as a substitute for Schmaltz, but some say that clarified butter works as a good substitute too.

Here is a recipe for a "Mock Schmaltz" you might be interested in:

Mock Schmaltz
1 pound vegetable fat (such as shortening or vegetable suet)
3 cups (24oz) mild-tasting oil
2 large carrots, grated
4 to 5 medium onions OR 3 large onions, chopped
Put all ingredients together in a pot, bring to high heat, then reduce to a simmer until the onions get soft and golden. Strain, then store in refrigerator in a sealed container.

I hope I've been a help.

QUESTION: Hi Patti, thats really good to know as its difficult to get schmaltz where I live.

In terms of my original question on magel stuffing, are you able to give me the quantities and ingredients to make it?

Thank you.

Hi Giuliana,

Like any stuffing recipe, this recipe open to whatever additions or changes you'd prefer (such as garlic, carrot, parsley herbs, etc.), depending on your own personal tastes.

1 cup plain flour, bread crumbs or matzoh meal
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1/4 teaspoon Pepper
¼ cup Schmaltz (or Margarine, or oil mixed with ½ cube chicken stock)
½ cup chopped Onion
1 Egg
A little water if it seems too dry to mix easily.
Chopped gizzards and Heart may also be used in this recipe

1. Whisk egg
2. Stir in fat or oil
3. Mix all ingredient together to a sticky dough
4. Spoon into chicken or turkey and tie the neck openings closed.

This can be cooked in two ways: Either simmer on top of stove about 1 hour, or bake uncovered in a greased pan at 400 degrees (204.44 degrees Celsius) for an hour, turning until brown on all sides. Check for doneness.  This can be cooked separately from the chicken in a well greased pan if you prefer.

I've never made these recipes, I found them online, and they sound good!:

Bon Appétit!

Jewish Food

I can answer questions regarding the Jewish religion, its beliefs, practices, holidays, food, culture, and people.

I was raised in an Orthodox Jewish home.

I hold a Bachelor of fine Arts degree, and though that has nothing to do with my expertise on this subject, it's a required field to fill in.