Jewish Teens/On not-converting

Question
Hello!
For the last several months I've been experiencing what I suppose you could call a "religious crisis." I've been questioning pretty much everything that I believe (I'm 16 - so far I've been raised Catholic), and my search has led me to Judaism. I've done lots of research, essentially reading every book my library has regarding world religions, and I have come to a single conclusion. There's something very intangible about it, something that I cannot quite explain, but I feel very drawn to Judaism.
My parents have been very supportive of my journey so far, but they will not let me undergo a formal conversion at least until I'm 18, and they highly recommend waiting until I've finished college. My proposal is that I attend a synagogue and celebrate festivals just as I would if I were converting, but without being approved by a bet din and being immersed in the mikveh and so on and so forth.
Is this okay? Are there certain festivals that I cannot/should not celebrate because I'm technically a gentile? Would I be accepted in a synagogue if I wanted to fully participate without converting? Are there any potential roadblocks or problems with this plan?
I very much appreciate any insight you can give.
Thank you!

Answer
Hi Rachel

Your parents sound both supportive and pragmatic, which is very helpful in a quest like yours. I would recommend getting in touch with the rabbi- or better the rabbi's wife- before you go to synagogue. As it is, you will need someone to guide you along the way and, of course, they will be able to tell you what is and isn't advisable/appropriate at each step of the way.

If there is a Chabad community in your area, I would suggest getting in touch with them as Chabad rabbis and rebbetzins are very approachable and will also be honest with you as to how you should proceed and what other spiritual alternatives you may want to consider (like the Noahide approach, which is the Torah system for gentiles to follow. Conversion is a huge undertaking and complete lifestyle change. We don't believe that you have to be Jewish to have a relationship with G-d, so the Noahide approach offers that opportunity to experience the spirituality and connection without the complete lifestyle shift).

Good luck!

Sincerely,

Rabbi Shishler

Jewish Teens

Rabbi Ari Shishler