Job Hunting Tips/Experience or Salary

Question
Hello,

I graduated college in 2013 and for the past year I worked for the Y in a part time position.  Recently though I was hired to work full time for the Y.  I am excited to work full time but I am concerned about the salary.  I will only be making about $14 an hour, which is very low.  But I also feel that because I am only 23, it is more important to focus on experience and building my resume (The job at the Y is in my field). Am I correct in saying that at my age it is more important to gain experience or should I find a job with a higher pay grade?

Thanks,
Brad

Answer
Hi Brad. Situations are different for everyone and there are no hard and fast answers in situations like these. I can tell you that many people are working for less than $14 an hour. You also have to consider what you have as additional benefits.

What I would do if I was in your situation I would plan to get as much experience in this job for two years (ask for additional assignments, etc.) Also if possible I would do what I could to add to my education, night courses, etc. At the end of this time I would research the market to see what else is available. If that is what you decide to do if you will send your email address to me at walshaw1@cox.net I will send at no obligation a job search plan that will really work for you when you decide to use it. Good luck! Bob Walshaw.

Job Hunting Tips

Robert M. Walshaw