Job Hunting Tips/Is it okay to call a place I haven't worked at for 3 years for a job?

Question
Ms. Grishaber,

I apologize if this isn't the right category to be asking this type of question in.

When I was 16 years old, I worked at a textile warehouse during the summer doing general work and inventory stuff. I had to get back to school, so my job ended two weeks before high school started up for the year. My boss told me that I was one of the best workers they had ever had, and that I was welcomed back if I ever needed a job.
I didn't exactly love the working conditions at the place so I decided to try applying to other places. The heat gets pretty brutal in the summer and they never had any air conditioning in the warehouse. It's been three years, I'm in college, and I haven't had a job since. I haven't been able to land even one job since my last one, no matter how hard I try to get one.
I'm thinking of contacting my former boss from the warehouse and asking if they'd be willing to give me a job. I'm a little hesitant, though; I don't know if it would be appropriate to call them after 3 years. Would they even remember me?

Thank you in advance!

Answer
Hi Safoora,
I'm sorry to hear it's been awhile since you've found something. FYI, I offer a complimentary 30-minute consultation where we could look at what you've been doing and I could recommended what to focus on.

However, I do think it makes sense to also go back to the earlier employer. While the working conditions could be improved upon, you'd at least start bringing in an income. Having said that, you should be willing to make a commitment to stay there at least six months if they are willing to help you out.

The most important thing about approaching them is the fact that you were one of their best workers and they actually did tell you that you were welcome back. Do you remember the names of anyone there who felt that way? If so, you could try looking them up at LinkedIn to see if they still work there. Another way is to do an advanced people search on LinkedIn where you put the name of the company in that field and the name of the city. Then anyone who works there who is on LinkedIn will come up and you cam see if you know anyone.

Karen
www.karengrishaber.com

Job Hunting Tips

Karen Grishaber