Jogging & Running/pigeon toes

Question
Nick
My daughters legs are just like mine, short and pigeon toed! Running is not a big problem, in fact in some ways like running trails together at the lake and stopping quickly it helps!
It takes effort to turn her feet outwards to use the inside for passing a soccer ball, so for  that reason she just dribbles outside foot.Her soccer coach coach insists she uses inside and out equally, but my daughter is frustrated it is physically difficult to do. He also says she is too heavy-which she is but once again our family is short and stocky and all a bit overweight. I dont think its a big deal, she should learn to dribble and run the best way she can with what she has, and once she is confident dribbling outside toe she can work on inside. She can keep up with the other kids just fine and helps out and can even score goals. I think coach is being too technical. I am sure in poor countries there are lots of kids that became good runners or stheletes that didnt have perfect physiques. Your thoughts?

Answer
Thanks for contacting me Susan. I have a few facets of a response for you.

1) You should see a physiotherapist that specializes in orthopedics or an orthopedic doctor to see if it is a structural or functional problem. Depending on which it is the long-term effects should be described to you both as well. You said you have the same stance so it would be good for both of you to find out.

2) I see your view on having your daughter become confident in the way she's dribbling currently before working on a new technique. I agree that pushing her outside her comfort zone is probably not the best idea. If she gets frustrated she may quit soccer altogether which won't benefit her physical activity levels. However, I played a lot of soccer growing up and it will be difficult for her progress without dribbling with the inside of her feet. Hopefully she can progress towards that, but if not I hope that she can progress as far as possible with dribbling with the outside of her feet.

3) I believe everyone has a set-point for their weight. Please see this article for more information. http://bodycreativenetwork.com/finding-your-ideal-weight/

Good luck and please let me know if you have any more questions!

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey