Jogging & Running/jogging after 59 years

Hi , I am 59 years old and jog every alternate day about 14 kms and  take part regularly in half marathons . I have been advised that jogging at my age is very dangerous and may subject the heart to sudden heart attacks . I have no illness except that i am on I'm anti-cholesterol medication ( with my cholesterol count normal ) .

am in a state of shock as to whether to continue jogging at all ?

please advise .

Sivalingam, I think it's fabulous that you still run so much.  I am not your physician so am not able to tell you specifically if you can continue to run. However, a good rule of thumb is, "If you feel good running, then you should keep running." Standard conditions that would put you at risk is your systolic blood pressure lowering during your run, your oxygen saturation dropping below 90% while running, or shortness of breath that causes pain in your heart and possibly left shoulder..

Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions. I hope you continue to live a healthy life!

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient