Jogging & Running/Torn Tensor Fasciae Latae - ice or heat

Hi Nick,

I communicated with you last week about my running injury.  I'm now into day 6 and I've still got swelling.  I'm reading a lot of different opinions on icing.  Do I continue to ice, considering I've still got swelling? Or do I switch to heat, even though I've still got swelling?  

My pain is nearly gone, but feeling tired and still have discomfort.  Been doing the Total Movement Release exercises you emailed me, once a day me without pain.  

Can't get into the doc until nearly mid-December . . . by then I'm hoping I'm already healed . .  (;

I'm hoping you're already healed by then as well!  Continue to just ice for a 3 more days. (I recommend icing twice per day. Heat is only beneficial if you are going to be active and you need it to warm up first. This may be beneficial when you start to jog again. After you start to jog again you'll likely want to ice after the run until you don't feel any symptoms.

Remember to never ice longer than 15 mins. This can cause cold-induced vasodilation (CVID). This is a fancy way to say that if you make the body tissues too cold then they'll get mad at you and try to heat up the tissue so it doesn't die.

Don't hesitate to ask any more questions!

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient