Jogging & Running/foam rollers

Do you know anything about foam rollers? I am looking into getting one in order to massage my shins in order to avoid such bad shin splints. My understanding is that there are different levels of rollers, blue being a medium level of hardness and black being very solid. Do you think a medium level or a very high density would be best for massaging shins?

I appreciate any advice.

Good question Rachel. I strongly suggest the blue one. The muscle your massaging is your anterior tibialis which can be pretty sore. The goal is to get rid of any trigger points and prevent any from forming and the softer one will do it for you and be less painful.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck running and not having shin splints!

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient