Jogging & Running/Duration of Jogging

Question
Hi Nick,
I started my jogging with 16 minutes, I was able to increase the duration and with in the 8th day of my jogging I was able to jog one hour(60 minutes).I am on a weight loss mission and do you think I should increase my duration, anyway I feeling a bit bored with longer version particularly when I jogged for one hour.Is it alright to decrease the intensity?if so by what margin or should I maintain the same rate,, will it affect my weight loss programme ?

Answer
Great job at working so hard! It sounds like you've made fabulous progress so far. The following are suggestions of things to do which will help you on your weight loss mission, but so you don't have to jog an hour every day.

1) Still try to jog an hour straight either once a week or every other week.
2) Try to incorporate sprints into your workouts. Sprints can be for 10 seconds long or they can be just running as fast as you can for 3 minutes. If sprint for less than a minute you should rest for about 90 seconds. If you sprint for over a minute you should rest for about the same amount of time as you run.
3) Try running up hills or stairs/bleachers.
4) Try jogging for 40 minutes, but every 8 minutes stopping and doing some push-ups, ab exercises, squat jumps, lunge jumps, 1-leg squats, jumping jacks, etc. You can do just one of those exercises or 2 or 3. It is a good way to work your muscles differently and not get bored running.
5) Instead of jogging for an hour just jog for 30 minutes, but jog faster. This should only be done maybe once a week.

Try using a combination of these or one each day. I hope it will make your workouts more enjoyable than just an hour straight of running.  Please don't hesitate to ask any more questions!  

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey