Jogging & Running/Calf strain - follow up question

Question
Hi Nick,

I really appreciate your opinions.  I posted questions a few days ago about my calf strain.  Well, now I'm at day 10.  I've been doing the calf raises two times a day (2 sets of 8 reps each time) and periodic stretching throughout the day. I have also been rolling, massaging my calf, taking Arnica and doing those active release techniques you gave me when I had my TFL tear.  I can walk without any pain now and am anxious to get out there and test it, but I'm worried it will tighten up again and I'll make it worse. When I press hard on the calf, massaging it there is still slight soreness down deep.  When is it safe to try running? Do I need to wait until it's not sore when I press hard on it?  Thanks for your help!

Answer
It sounds like you are making progress Cecilia. It's nice to hear you appreciate my help. I wish I could give you a definitive and confident answer to this question, but I can't. I recommend you test it out with a light jog. Continue to build each day if there is no pain. When you reach that same pain then take a day off and then scale back just a little what you had been doing.

Example:
Today: jog a mile
Tomorrow: Jog 1.5 miles if there was no pain with a mile.
The next day: jog 2 miles. This day you feel some pain.
The following day: Rest. Just do the massage, exercise, and total motion release techniques.
The next day: Jog 1.5 miles.
Continue to build from here with this pattern.

Overall, don't be scared. Always work to modify foot strike to alleviate any discomfort/pain/stress/pressure. You'll likely choose to have 1 or 2 foot strikes that you tweak throughout your run.

As always, don't hesitate to let me know if you need more guidance or have further questions.

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey