Jogging & Running/Knee Clicking & Orthotics

I have been running for about 6 years. I am training for my fifth half marathon right now. A few days ago, I started experiencing a clicking sound in my knee when I walk downstairs or do a squat or lunge. I currently do not have any pain but something just doesn't feel quite right.

I have very flat feet and was just fitted with new shoes since the shoes I had been running in for years were discontinued. I was also fitted with orthodics at the running store.

Is this something I should go to the orthopedist for? Should I take a break from running even though I am not experiencing any pain?

Thanks for your help!

Dear Hillary,
This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618,Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...
Changing shoes & getting fitted for orthotics from a running store can certainly cause this problem.
As much as I am a proponent of orthotics-they should be prescribed by someone well versed in biomechanics. Perhaps you don't need them. You seemed to be symptom free until you switched shoes & got orthotics. Try another brand of shoe-closest to to your old brand & maybe skip the orthotics. A sports podiatrist is your best bet.
Hope this helps
Good Luck!
The podiatrists of are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago & Elmhurst

Dr George Tsatsos & Svetlana Zats
Podiatrist Chicago 60618 & Elmhurst 60126 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Jogging & Running

Dr George Tsatsos