Jogging & Running/Chondromalacia

I have been diagnosed with chondromalacia about a year ago. I am 37 years old and mom of 2 kids.
I used to go to gym regularly for aerobics, before I started having knee issues. My knees used to hurt severely after my workouts and I stopped working out. Now due to my increase in weight I would like to invest in a home gym equipment to reduce my weight. Which would be a good for my knees,( I don't want to aggravate it)? Treadmill, elliptical or exercise bike...I am looking at the elliptical free strider  35 s  by Nordictrack. Well this be good for my knees? Please let me know...

Thanks for your answers in advance

Bhavana, Good question and good job on starting to workout again. The bike will be easiest on your knees. I also recommend the following exercises.

These will help your kneecap (patella) properly track.

Good luck!

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient