Jogging & Running/Does/ don't Day/week before my races

Question
Hi Nick  our son had Achilles surgery 9 months ago. He healed well and has being running working on his time which is not too off from before surgery.
Our question is do you have and tips to do and don't  week/ day before his race to prevent him from feeling sore day of 400 Hurdle?
We appreciate your thoughts.
Joy

Answer
It sounds as if your son's Achilles surgery was successful! I'm glad to hear this, Christine.
1) Soft tissue mobilizations performed by a physical therapist or massage therapist are beneficial.

2) If he moves his foot/ankle in any particular way while sitting or standing that causes pain try to find a movement of his foot/ankle that does not cause pain. Perform the painless movement 30 times and then test the movement that caused pain to see if it is any better. If it is perform the movement that does not cause pain 30-50 times each day. (This sounds complicated, but follow the instructions carefully. If there are no movements that cause pain then disregard this tip.)

3) Besides that as long as he doesn't feel a searing pain his achilles will be anatomically fine.

Best of luck to him! Don't hesitate to follow up with future questions.  

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey