Jogging & Running/Does/ don't Day/week before my races

Hi Nick  our son had Achilles surgery 9 months ago. He healed well and has being running working on his time which is not too off from before surgery.
Our question is do you have and tips to do and don't  week/ day before his race to prevent him from feeling sore day of 400 Hurdle?
We appreciate your thoughts.

It sounds as if your son's Achilles surgery was successful! I'm glad to hear this, Christine.
1) Soft tissue mobilizations performed by a physical therapist or massage therapist are beneficial.

2) If he moves his foot/ankle in any particular way while sitting or standing that causes pain try to find a movement of his foot/ankle that does not cause pain. Perform the painless movement 30 times and then test the movement that caused pain to see if it is any better. If it is perform the movement that does not cause pain 30-50 times each day. (This sounds complicated, but follow the instructions carefully. If there are no movements that cause pain then disregard this tip.)

3) Besides that as long as he doesn't feel a searing pain his achilles will be anatomically fine.

Best of luck to him! Don't hesitate to follow up with future questions.  

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient