Jogging & Running/Knees
I am 55, no major health issues except being somewhat overweight-not obese.
Three years ago I tore the meniscus in both knees playing soccer. They have not been the same since. I have no arthritis or anything, and they check out fully healed now according to my doctor. I did some physio, including acupuncture, and I do daily stretches. Only recently the pain went away.
The problem is that I can do any kind of low impact exercise now, but they cant take any type of running, or weight bearing exercises like squats.
With summer coming, I have 'retired' from sports, but I still want to be able to run around with my grandchildren.
Can you suggest anything that would help, or is this the price you pay for old age?
If I was really commited, I could probably lose 10 or 15 pounds by summer, although as I mentioned I am not that overweight and dont have high blood pressure or diabetes or any condition that would require weight loss. Would losing some weight help?
Thanks for your thoughts!
Bud, I'm sorry to hear about your knee problems. The good news is that research shows that people who have surgery for meniscus tears and those who go through physiotherapy have the same long term outcomes. (This is the link to the abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23036877
.) However, you may want more function than any of those people had.
1) Losing weight may help. It certainly can't hurt. In my opinion I would guess it has a 40% chance of helping.
2) Time will help it get better.
3) Perform 2 exercises from this link: The Clam and Bridging. http://www.knee-pain-explained.com/torn-meniscus.html
. Hip strength helps our knees feel better. You should perform enough that you get tired and even a little sore.
4) Perform the exercise at this link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEtrqCu8Ne8. Start at a high surface. Hopefully you can lower the height you do it from as you get stronger, but try these if they don't cause much pain.
5) If you don't see any improvement in the next 3 months then see a physiotherapist. If you didn't see a lot of improvement with your last one then see a different one. (Find one that you see improvement with.)
Good luck. I hope this helps. I wish I could give you the magic treatment, but without seeing you it makes it a bit tricky. Please don't hesitate to follow-up with further questions.