Jogging & Running/about pain in legs to feet

hello sir i am gursharan singh age 23 years i have very much pain in my both anckles the reason is i started playing cricket again after approx. 4 years first 2-3 days it was ok after that the pain started in whole body then warming up regular the pain of body is ok but the pain in right groin and both anckle is not going. now i cant run while running both anckle are very stressed please tell me the solution.

thnak you
warm regards
gursharan singh

Gursharan, It's great you are being more active, but I'm sorry you're having pain! Fortunately, this is a very fixable problem. If you can see a physiotherapist that would be ideal. A physio would be able to do a comprehensive examination, perform manual therapy, and give detailed exercises for you to do at home. However, below are some things that hopefully will help.

Exercise 1) Does any specific movement of your ankles hurt? (I.e. point foot down, up, sideways?) If so, perform the opposite movement 2x30 times. (I.e. If pointing it right hurts then perform 2x30 times pointing to the left.) *Look carefully for a specific motion that hurts, but if none does then no need to perform Exercise 1.

Exercise 2)Hip abduction-

Exercise 3) Foot intrinsics-

Exercise 4) Ankle circles- Rotate both ankles in full circles 20-40 times each way.

Perform all of these exercises 2 times each day. If there is no progress with 5 days of doing this then you should definitely see a physiotherapist.

Good luck with your ankle and groin pain!  

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient