Jogging & Running/running and thyroid

I have symptoms of low thyroid, but numbers are ok. But I've been told that I should do no cardio/endurance, especially running because it suppressed the  thyroid. That saddens me because I love running. Is there any way to continue running but to do it in a way that won't stress out my thyroid/suppress it?

Andrea, fabulous question. If a physician told you not to do any cardiovascular exercise because of low-thyroid I suggest getting a 2nd opinion from someone who specializes in this. I've never heard this. I know 3 people who take thyroid medication because of low thyroid and none have these restrictions. You may have a unique situation or you may have misinformation. I would be very, very surprised if running as long as you'd like and as fast as you'd like is not appropriate.

Let me know if I can be of further assistance. I hope you can be safely running soon!

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient