Jogging & Running/Runnig / Dehydration?

Question
Hi!

Yesterday, Friday, in mid-day heat (28 degrees) I ran 10km (for only the second time). I had a headache during my run, but I kept on running anyways. Later that night I had a bad headache (couldn't sleep because of it), and slight pain in the area of my heart. Truth be told -- I probably didn't drink enough during or after my run.

I was fine most of Saturday, with the slight pain in the area of my heart. Other than that I felt fine and functioned normally.

My question: Did I cause myself any damage?

Thank you for anything you can tell me about this.

Ari Enkin

Answer
Good job on working hard running Ari. While, I can't say for certainty there is no damage, it would surprise me greatly. Drink a lot of water the next few days.

Go see a physician if:
-you still have pain near your heart after a 2-3 days
-the pain gets worse
-you or an immediate family member has a history of heart problems
-the pain is worse with exertion (i.e. walking up stairs or a hill)

Don't be alarmed. You likely did nothing. Even if there is a problem then it likely wasn't because of not drinking enough water one day. If you do feel like there is a problem then go see a physician to have it checked out.  

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey