Jogging & Running/Should i start jogging or should i wait till surgery

Hi Nick i injured my knee doing sprints about 8 months ago, I stop working out,  i just got an MRI and it came back with a ganglion cyst on my PCL. About two months  i started jogging again but my knee started hurting and swelled up.. I don't have an appointment till two weeks from now and Im desperate to get back in shape is it ok if i start doing a little bit of elliptic exercises to get started or would that just make my cyst worse... What would you recomend?

Thank in advance for your time...

Carlos, I'm not a physician and haven't evaluated your knee either. However, I doubt that you can cause much harm. That being said, I recommend trying to do more upper body exercises. You can really burn calories with fast, lighter weight upper body exercises. This video is an example of some you can do:

You can try the elliptical. If you don't feel much pain then it should be fine. If you do feel pain then it's probably not worth the pain or the risk of causing any damage.

Good luck and let me know if you have other questions!

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient