Jogging & Running/Start Training

Question
Hi Nick!

I love walking and running. It is one of my favourite activities and it was one I pursued passionately. After I started university and injured the same foot twice I pretty much stopped on running.

Anyway, I loved it and I miss it a lot so I'm definitely planning on starting again but this time I want to do it right :)

I'd like to start training myself to handle this sport better (eventually I'd like to be able to keep up in marathons, but that's a longterm goal).

For now my question is what's a good beginner's outline/program for me to follow in order to build up my stamina, endurance and level as I go from walking to jogging to running?

Hope I made some sense.

Thank you so much!

Answer
Great question and great desire Dana! I am happy to help you. There are 2 parts that aspects to your program. The first are a few exercises that I recommend everyone does throughout their life because they prevent so many injuries and little aches and pains from our lower back down to our feet. The second part is a progressive walking to running program.

Exercises
Clamshells- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiqvDV8pzRk
Towel eater exercise- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGsBVoYNGac
1-leg sit-to-stands- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEtrqCu8Ne8

Progressively do more of these throughout your life. Form on each is important. Don't strain yourself too much though. Perform these exercises 3-4 times each week.

Walking to running program
1) Start at a slow walk until you are able to walk briskly for 30 minutes.
2) Walk briskly for 10 minutes, jog for 10 minutes, walk for 10 minutes.
3) Progressively lengthen the jog from 10 minutes to 30 minutes and keep a 5-10 minute walk before and after the jog.
4)Once you've accomplished the first 3 steps you have 2 options to choose from each day. First, jog at a steady pace for 30-40 minutes each day. Second, mix up the speed that you are walking, jogging, or running. An example of this is: walk for 5 minutes, jog for 3 minutes, walk for 1 minute, run fast for 1 minute, walk for 1 minute, jog 5 minutes, walk for 1 minute, run for 1 minute, jog for 1 minute, walk for 5 minutes.

Perform the walking to running program 3-6 times each week.

Please don't hesitate to ask questions in the future or ask me to clarify anything here. Good luck Dana!

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey