Jogging & Running/Foot, Knee, and hip pain

I am an active 49-year-old woman who has been running for over 30 years; recently I have been experiencing pain during the the night and this is affecting my sleep. As a consequence, I am fatigued all day. I have had pain in my hip for years and cortisone shots have not helped (pain is not present when I run, but when I lie down at night and I cannot lie on the left side). Now the top of my right foot hurts so badly it wakes me up during the night (moving around does not help); also my right knee has been stiff and painful when I lie down and if I try to do a hamstring stretch (my foot and my knee have been in pain for about 2 weeks). Needless to say, I am really frustrated with my lack of sleep and inability to rid myself of these pains with Advil. I would like some advice on what to do; I have some good running shoes (Asics), but I have not been running for a week. Thanks in advance for your help!

Carol, this is likely regular musculoskeletal pain (i.e. treatable by a physical therapist doctor). However, you need to see your physician. The fact that changing positions doesn't help and cortisone doesn't help are indications that you need to see a physician very soon. Those combined with the rest of your history indicate you need to see a physician. If he or she rules out anything more than musculoskeletal pain then write me again and I'll help you.

With what I know I would refer you back to your physician even if you were sitting in front of me. Again, everything may be alright, but we don't want to be wrong.

Make sure to express that you're concerned that it is not musculoskeletal. They should consider this, but I always advocate being an active patient.

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient