Jogging & Running/soreness after running


I have been experiencing soreness on the side of my knee and side of my hip - NOT DURING runs but after. I stretch and use a roller 2x every day. It does not feel like muscle soreness. More like tendons. When I kneel on my knees to stretch on a firm surface there are very specific points on the outsides of my knees that are quite painful when pressure is applied. Is this simply a symptom of over training or can I do something to relieve this? Again during the runs my knees and hips feel good.

Hey Len

I believe the problem to your running is that you have some flexibility issues as well as the over training issue. May I ask how much do you run on a weekly basis.

I would ask for you to use a foam roller on the side of your hip as well as IT band if you haven't already  I know you mentioned your doing a roller already just unsure which ones, and  also include an IT band stretch as well. IT bands are usually a stubborn area that become tight, that is the tendon we are talking about here. Include the RICE principle to reduce pain/ inflammation to the affected area ( Rest, Ice, Compression, Elevation) for 15 minutes 2 times a day.

I know you said your using the foam roller, which ones do you do? I would also ask, if you do running on any other ground ( like on grass at a park, or treadmill) does the area have the same effect of muscle soreness? My last question is if you are running on a consistent basis, do you change your shoes often (within 6 monthes).

Jogging & Running

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I can answer Strength training questions, Fitness, sports specific training, injury rehabilitation


I train primarily athletes and regular people who need to get back in a fitness routine.


You can find more of my material at for further information on how to start building yourself, improve your body and live better.

I am an Exercise Scientist & Strength and Conditioning coach with 6 specializations/credentials, - Strength Conditioning Specialist with the National Strength and Conditioning Association, primarily dealing with athletic performance training. - Corrective Exercise specialist (CES) and Sports Performance Coach (PES) with the National Academy of Sports Medicine. - An Health fitness Specialist with the American College Of Sports Medicine - An Exercise Physiologist with CSEP. -TRX Group Qualified instructor.

©2017 All rights reserved.