Jogging & Running/Shoes for flat feet

I want to ask about the shoes that are suitable for people with flat feet, I am not sure if this is what falls within your field of expertise, but I really could not find an answer to my question when I asked people or searched on Google about it; your answer could help me a lot.

I am male, am 25 years old, weigh 100 kg and I have flat feet (but not completely flat). I want to buy new shoes for walking. I know that shoes with higher stability are recommended for people with flat feet, but I want to know about other specification of the shoe like it's width and how much fit it should be. I have heard it is better for flat feet if shoes are slightly bigger and are not exactly fit when you wear them.

I want to know if this is true or not? and if there is anything else I should know for selecting the right shoes for flat feet?

Ramin, I have a partial answer for you. I'm not an expert in regards to shoes, but I may be able to help. First, if your feet don't hurt while walking then don't worry too much about it. If they are hurting then you'll definitely want to take my next advice and possibly seek more.  

Perform the towel eater exercise ( 1-2 times each day for 1-3 minutes at a time.

Perform slow calf/heel raises ( 1-2 times each day for 1-3 minutes at a time.

Your feet have many muscles in them. This may not give you higher arches or change the shape of your foot, but it will likely decrease any pain associated with flat feet that you may have with walking or being on your feet. Plus, there's almost no chance these exercises will be bad for you.

The bottom line is I wouldn't worry so much about shoes as I would performing a little exercise for your feet. The benefit of this is that you can then walk in any type of shoe. Plus, it never hurts to have muscles working better.  

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient