Jogging & Running/Digestion Improving?

Hi Nick
I am 56. I have always used running either outdorrs or on a treadmill as my major exercise. I enjoy the whole bofy effect, in particular the bouncing around that my insides gets.
For the past two years, I had to recover from surgery to both knees as a result of injuries sustained in an accident. During this time, although my weight went up a bit, my belly got pretty big and my digestion got pretty bad, to the point I thought I had irritable bowel. The only cardio I got was on a stationary bike.
A week ago I was cleared to run. After only two runs, my digestion and general 'blah' feelings in my guts have mostly disappeared, and my big flabby belly is tightening up. Scale has remained the same.
I cant find much on this, but my theory is that, for some people anyway, the jiggling around that the internal organs get while running actually 'stimulates' them to function better. This makes sense as we were designed to move around and even run, not lay on the couch or sit at the computer all day.
Thanks for any info!

Bud, Thanks for the history. I can't confirm or refute that the jiggling is good for the organs. I do feel that exercise has more benefits than we understand.

The scale should catch up. I tell people to focus on how their pants fit. Everyone knows if they're pants are fitting looser. Regardless, exercise is healthy so unless a health care professional requires you to stop you should keep it up.

Good luck and don't hesitate to contact me with further questions.  

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient