You are here:

Jogging & Running/pain in calves when I walk


Hello Mr. Tsatsos.  I am greek and since your name sounded greek I thought I'd ask you for advice.

I'm a a male in my late 20's. I am out of shape (240lbs, 5'11) and a heavy smoker (I'm greek..).  I have started eating healthier and exercising, while I'm trying to quit smoking, for the past few days.  The problem that I have is when I walk, my calves get tight and start to hurt.  The pain gets so bad within minutes that I have to stop.  I did manage to walk for 2 miles a couple days ago, by "pushing through" the pain.  I did have to take a couple rests to stretch, and it seems like that helped me finish the 2 miles.  Yesterday and today I only managed to walk for half a mile, and I decided to just top not wanting to cause any damage.

I did a some research online and I read that the pain could be due to low blood flow to the legs, especially being a smoker.  I am worried about this since I always thought the pain was due to the extra weight and being out of shape.  Another reason could be that I do not have the right shoes for my walking style/supination (the outter part of the soles on my shoes wear out the fastest).

Today after my walk, I sat down and noticed part of the muscle (?) right next to the shin on the outside was a bit swollen.  The area was a round dime size. I had this on both of my legs. I am not sure if this was simply muscle reacting to stress or something worst like a blood clot.  That went away after a few minutes of rest, and so did the pain that I had in my calves.

I do plan to see a doctor if the problem does not go away after a period of time. I just wanted to ask if you think this is something serious, and whether the pain in my calves is "normal" considering my sedentary lifestyle and will it go away as I exercise and keep following a healthy diet.  Do you recommend I exercise/walk regardless of the pain?


Dear Nasos,

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661,Roscoe Village 60618, Ukranian Village 60622, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says...

For your calf pains. It is very rare to have a blood clot in the same spot in both legs.
The pain sounds like intermittent claudication ( poor circulation possibly due top smoking)or muscle strain due to poor shoes & being out of shape. I would suggest a Board Certified Podiatrist, who should be able to diagnose all of the above. If there is poor circulation to the legs, the exercise will improve it, or you would then see a peripheral vascular specialist.
Hope this helps & Good Luck!

The Chicago Podiatrists of are specialists in orthopedics and sports medicine.
We are located in Chicago, Elmhurst & Bartlett

Dr George Tsatsos, Svetlana Zats, Dr Mariano Rivera, Dr Massard & Dr Kurtz
Chicago 60618 & 60622, Elmhurst 60126, Bartlett 60103 Podiatrists
Board Certified in Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further

Jogging & Running

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Dr George Tsatsos

©2017 All rights reserved.