Jogging & Running/Anterior iliac crest pain

I have been experiencing iliac crest pain for a couple of weeks. The pain feels like a bruise when pressed athough i have not bumped into or fallen into anything. The pain is localised to that area with no pain at all anywhere else. I run 3 x. A week ave 5 -7miles.  I have been running through the pain with the last run being 7mile with hills. I think i have now reached the point where i think i need rest now. Can you reccomend and stretches or indeed a hint as to what is causing the pain?  Was training for my 2nd half marathon but now i think this may have to be cancelled :(

Thanks for trusting me to help Shona. I have a few questions that I need to ask to help you.

Is the pain inside the pelvis or outside? Inside would likely be the iliacus muscle and the outside would likely be the glute medius or maximus muscle. This will help me provide any stretches or movements that can help.

If it is muscular, which it seems to be, I could recommend a couple of different options. If you'll give me your state or zip code I could recommend who might be able to help you best.

I hope you don't need to cancel your marathon. When people have goals go work hard and be active I want them to achieve those goals!

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient