Jogging & Running/Distance running

Hi there :) My name is Hazel and I am 14 years old. So I both love and hate running. I am a fairly good sprinter but I really want to be able to run say 5 miles easily. I can hardly run a mile under 9 minutes(I know thats terrible, im 5'5 and 120 but im very sedentary). Anyways, like I said I want to be able to run several miles without tiring or hurting, preferably running them at a fast pace as well. I was wondering how I should go about training myself to be able to achieve my goal, I have a treadmill at home and several other exercise machines if that makes a difference. Thanks so much :)

Distance is achieved with patience first. Start by jogging 5 miles, then very gradually speed up paying attention to your running form. Also, if you want distance I strong recommend you learn to run forefoot striking, like a Pose or Chi method or simply training barefoot. Read Born to Run, by Chris McDougall. Have fun.

Jogging & Running

Milton Miller

I can answer any questions about long distance running. I can also talk about preparation for events, logistics, adventure, trail running, and training for long distances.

I prepared for and ran 2832 miles from Miami to Los Angeles in 2011, and am now preparing to run again from Los Angeles to Miami starting on January 1st 2014. I have ran the Miami Marathon, a Ragnar Relay from Miami to Key West (199 miles) and I run regularly at non-competitive events.

I write often about long distance running at

My specialty is ultra-long distances. Where it comes to speed and short distance events my knowledge, and interest, are very limited, but in the field of very long distance I know how it is. Also, there is an entire separate culture and body of knowledge about ultramarathons that is not the same as for short distance races. Training and techniques for running ultramarathons (any race above 26.2 miles, most of them 50 or 100 miles long) is very different than that of "normal" races.