Jogging & Running/Beginning running

Question
Hello!
I'm 41 years old and really want to be a runner. Unfortunately, I have tried in the past and have been waylaid by calf injuries. I really want to try running again and am looking for some pointers on how to start (slowly!) and how to avoid calf injuries. The last time I tried, I was alternating walking with a slow jog to build up to running eventually when I heard a snap in my calf and was brought to a stand still with the pain (I wasn't sure I was going to even be able to make the walk home). I was out of commission for at least 2 weeks after that. My calves are always tight, even though I stretch them.  Are there any exercises or stretches I should do to help with this? Any pointers would be appreciated!
Thanks for your help - I look forward to hearing from you!
Dawn

Answer
Dawn, Thanks for the great question. It's great you want to be a runner. Join the large community of runners!

1) Perform this exercise https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YiesZvSVa7c, but with your heels hanging off of a step. You should do 10-20 a day. If these feel alright then build up to running as you have in the past.

Quick tip: Try performing the above exercise with your feet parallel, toes pointed toward each other, and toes pointed away from each other. If one feels better than another then only do that one. If they all feel just as good then do them all.

2) Continue stretching. I recommend stretching for 2 minute intervals.

3) If these don't do the trick I have other things I can recommend, but this is where I'd start.

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey