Jogging & Running/Beginning running

I'm 41 years old and really want to be a runner. Unfortunately, I have tried in the past and have been waylaid by calf injuries. I really want to try running again and am looking for some pointers on how to start (slowly!) and how to avoid calf injuries. The last time I tried, I was alternating walking with a slow jog to build up to running eventually when I heard a snap in my calf and was brought to a stand still with the pain (I wasn't sure I was going to even be able to make the walk home). I was out of commission for at least 2 weeks after that. My calves are always tight, even though I stretch them.  Are there any exercises or stretches I should do to help with this? Any pointers would be appreciated!
Thanks for your help - I look forward to hearing from you!

Dawn, Thanks for the great question. It's great you want to be a runner. Join the large community of runners!

1) Perform this exercise, but with your heels hanging off of a step. You should do 10-20 a day. If these feel alright then build up to running as you have in the past.

Quick tip: Try performing the above exercise with your feet parallel, toes pointed toward each other, and toes pointed away from each other. If one feels better than another then only do that one. If they all feel just as good then do them all.

2) Continue stretching. I recommend stretching for 2 minute intervals.

3) If these don't do the trick I have other things I can recommend, but this is where I'd start.

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient