Jogging & Running/foot ankle rehab

I slipped on some ice 6-8 weeks ago and strained all kinds of stuff in my arch/instep and ankle on the inside of my left foot. I continued to run on it and when it didn't heal as fast as I would have liked I took 2 weeks off and rested it. It is healing slowly but actually feels looser after a run than before. It is stiffest first thing in the morning. Heat seems to help more than cold.

My question is what tendon or ligament or muscle runs down the inner ankle just behind the ankle bone down into the arch and then toward the big toe? That seems to be the path of my discomfort.

Hi Len

I believe you would need to see a physician about that or physical therapist.  It could be the tendon connect to your posterior tibialis but the physical therapist would do a physical therapist to determine what tendon needs to be strengthened. They might recommend some balance exercises to restore proper control in the ankle. It looks like from your telling me some of the receptors in the postural muscles in your ankle got a little screwy and need to be retrained and balance helps with that.

I hope this helps

Jogging & Running

I can answer Strength training questions, Fitness, sports specific training, injury rehabilitation

I train primarily athletes and regular people who need to get back in a fitness routine.

You can find more of my material at for further information on how to start building yourself, improve your body and live better.

I am an Exercise Scientist & Strength and Conditioning coach with 6 specializations/credentials, - Strength Conditioning Specialist with the National Strength and Conditioning Association, primarily dealing with athletic performance training. - Corrective Exercise specialist (CES) and Sports Performance Coach (PES) with the National Academy of Sports Medicine. - An Health fitness Specialist with the American College Of Sports Medicine - An Exercise Physiologist with CSEP. -TRX Group Qualified instructor.