Jogging & Running/two steps forward one step back

Hi Nick

I thought I was getting there on healing my ankle/foot. But now I think I have plantar fascitis. The ankle is still a little sore but seems to be improving but my heel is very tender. I try to concentrate on running as far forward on my ball and toes as i can but the heel definitely hurts. I am icing it 3 times a day or more. Doing heel raises, towel scrunches and tennis ball messaging.

Any other suggestions? Very frustrating and depressing. Especially now that the weather is warming. This winter has destroyed what little speed I had developed in my running.

I'm sorry to hear that Len. It sounds like plantar fasciitis. What you need is a talocrural distraction thrust manipulation. Science still is not sure why it works, but it is like magic for plantar fasciitis if the spot that hurts in your heel is where I picture it. The classic spot is the calcaneal tubercle. (I couldn't find a good image on Google or I'd put on here.) If exercise isn't taking care of that then I'd call around to local physical therapist or chiropractors and see if they can provide that. That may be all it takes in conjunction with the exercise you're doing. If that isn't all it takes you'll need more in depth therapy, but 1 or 2 times of having that procedure may be magic for you.

Any way else I can help?

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient