Jogging & Running/ankle getting better but not all the way there yet

I injured my ankle 6 months ago slipping on ice during a run. (which I mentioned to you in the past ) I have done exercises, used ice, then heat trying to get back to being pain free. It is much better than it was but it still bothers me. Some of it may be plantar fasciitis but that loosens up during the course of my runs. The real nagging pain starts at the inside ankle bone and wraps down under the arch. What does that sound like to you and do you have any stretching or strengthening suggestions? At times it feels great. other times it bothers me.

Hey Len,

That pain on the inside could also be plantar fasciitis. However, it may be joint or muscle related. Typically I give slow heel raises and towel eaters as exercises. If that doesn't cure it then you probably need to see a physical therapist. You can either see one near you or I do have the ability to evaluate and treat virtually through VSee. If you're interested in this email me directly at

Sorry, I can't be of more help over this site. Without having a conversation and being able to see your ankle move and have you try different things while I'm watching it can be tough sometimes. Often, as you've seen, an exercise here or there can cure a lot, but not everything, as you've also seeing.

Let me know if I can help or if you have any other questions.

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient