Jogging & Running/Sore legs

Question
Hey Daniel,
   I had a pretty intense training session yesterday, and will be doing them every Saturdays for a while. Today my quads were super sore, and it's a little difficult to walk. They're not injured, just sore. My question is: will running on the days after my training, make the recovery process shorter? Or do you think I will just make them worse?

I appreciate your time in answering my question.

-Daniel

Answer
Hi Daniel

When you are doing high intensity like that and your body  is extremly sore it is ususlly a sign that your session was too intense. Performance wise having your legs stiffed up isnt really going to make you perform better. My belief is physical activity is supposed to enhance your ability to get you through the day. If your body is making you stiff and sore on a constant workout session such as this then you might want to look over how intense your sessions are, or the volume and see from there. You should be feeling refreshed the next day after the work outs, it shouldnt hinder your ability to be active.

If you are running, try avoid running on pavement and use a grass field or treadmill. This will decrease the impact on your legs. If you notice your sore, its ok to train but do it at a lighter intensity, you can call it recovery day. A recovery day is where you are training and exercising but not over taxing the body as you would on a high intensity day. These are some options you can utilize to remain active.

Hope this helps and apologize for the delayed response

Jogging & Running

Daniel