Jogging & Running/Shin Splint pain or something else?

My lower leg bone is very tender to the touch on the inside (posterior tibialis region). I don't run or work out but I do overpronate. The pain is constant (only when touched), and not exclusively after activity. It also seems to only occur in my right leg.  Is this just shin splints or could this be something else? If it helps, I'm 40 & not very active.

It sounds very much like shin splints. I recommend performing heel raises (calf raises) with your toes pointing in. Another option is to roll onto the outside of your feet (supinate) and then back flat. Repeat this many times.  Both can help strengthen that area and relieve the pain. I've had great success with medial shin splints with them.

I practice northeast of Baltimore. Feel free to come down and see me if this doesn't get better.

Don't hesitate to ask anymore questions!

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient