Jogging & Running/Repeated muscle pulls

Hi there,
I'm 21 years old and I play soccer every weekend. But after around 30 minute mark in the game I pull either calf or groin or hamstring muscles. Usually its both my calves that play up but my hamstrings and groin don't help either. I rest during the week and the pain goes down in a couple of days. I should perhaps mention that I am a slim guy but have been running and playing soccer since childhood so my limb muscles are pretty defined. I follow proper stretching and warm up techniques but still end up with pulled muscle. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

It's good to hear you're so active, but I'm sorry you're getting hurt so much.

The following are my recommendations which are backed by research.

1) Make sure to stretch prior to exercise, but also after when your legs are tired.

2) Perform single leg heel raises, on a step. The downward (eccentric) phase should take 10 sec. The upward (concentric) phase should take 2 seconds.

3) You should perform 3-5 mins of running while bent over and hitting a soccer ball with your hands. This should be done 2-3 times a week.

4) The exercise at the end of this video I think will be most beneficial, but feel free to do the other things as well if you have time.

Let me know what questions you have or if I can be of more help.

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient