Jogging & Running/Psoas

Hi Nick. I have cut down on my mileage this season. My body just does not want to run 6 milers anymore. Sometimes even 3 becomes a chore. Any suggestions for loosening the Psoas? It is tightness on the front of the hip and Quad that has been limiting me.

Len, Obviously stretching is imporant. It's important to stretch at least 2 or 3 different types of ways. Sometimes hold it for 1-3 mins straight. Sometimes only hold it only a couple seconds and do several of them in a row. Stretch some prior to running, but most of it should be performed after running. Foam rolling is also benficial. It can also be beneficial to see a massage therapist, physical therapist, or acupuncturist.

Let me know if you have questions regarding these recommendations and as always never hesitate to ask further questions.  

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient