Jogging & Running/Running

Question
So, I have this problem with running a long distance. Really fast I tend to loose my balance and fall on the ground when I haven't ran that far. I believe it has something to do with my weight and how I have no muscles in my body (legs more particularly). I am 13 and I weigh about 100 pounds and I'm super skinny. Every time I try to run a long distance for P.E or anything I just tend to lose my balance. It even happens when I walk. I just lose my balance out of no where. So my question is why does his keep happening to me when I run? Also is there any way to fix it? Like exercising and gaining more muscle in my legs and also gaining weight. Can you. please give me an answer whenever you can? Thank you so much.

Answer
Fayth,

Thank you for messaging me. There are 3 factors that affect balance. Visual (eyes), vestibular (a system of canals and containers that tell your body where you're at), and somatosensory (muscles and nerves). It is likely a somatosensory issue (I'm sorry for the big word, but it's the best way to explain it). Hopefully this can be fixed with more exercise. If so you can get on youtube and look up cool leg and balance exercises and practice them (this should be fun). However, I recommend seeing a physical therapist so that they can do testing with you and make sure that nothing more serious is going on. There are a lot of more serious things that could be happening, but, it is likely not. Talk with your parent or guardian and see if you can see a physical therapist. If they deem you just need to be stronger and nothing serious is happening they can start you on an exercise program that you can do at home.

Don't hesitate to ask me more questions. Don't ignore this. Keep working on it. Good luck!

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey