Jogging & Running/Shin Splints

I've been running 3-4 times a week for over 2 years, about 3K a day. I'm in great physical shape and eat well, but still find that I get horrible shin pains by my third run of the week. I've tried changing my stride, pace, and other things to improve my form but its always the same. I wear shoes with plenty of support and insoles to help with my flat feet as well. Do you have any tips to help prevent this from happening, or advise me on what I could be doing wrong?

Thank you so so so much!

Great job on working so hard to be in good physical shape. Unfortunately, I can't tell you exactly what's wrong with you with that information. Fortunately, though I can give you other things to try. In no particular order you can try any or all of the following suggestions.

1. Try running backwards on the 3rd run. (This is more feasible if you're on an open track or on a treadmill.)

2. Try using different foot strikes on different runs. You can search midfoot strikes, forefoot strikes, and heel strikes.

3. Practice foot intrinsic exercises. This is a great video.

4. Try ankle exercises. These are 2 good videos of examples. and

You can also see a physio. He or she may be able to find something very quickly that will help you.

Please don't hesitate to follow-up with further questions.  

Jogging & Running

Nick Rainey

I can answer questions about pain and training program. If there is a question about running that I don't know then I'll do some research and make sure I provide you with an answer.

I'm a Doctor of Physical Therapy. I'm a track and cross country coach. I train clients throughout the year. I've helped prepare athletes for their NFL Pro Days. I've written articles on running. Finally, those that I work with have less pain and run faster.

American Physical Therapy Association- Sports Section

The 6 Week Workout Program- I'm the author of this book Many articles on the internet including,, and my blog

Doctor of Physical Therapy BS in Exercise Science NSCA- CSCS and CPT USA Weightlifting Level I NPI- Certified Posture Specialist Total Motion Release Level II Certified Dry Needling

National Posture Institute's International Perfect Posture of the Year Award 2011 Clinical Excellence Award- Rocky Mountain University of Health Professions Aegis Therapies Scholarship recipient