Jogging & Running/Barefoot Running

Question
Hello

Firstly thanks for taking the time to read and answer my question.

Long story short I'm a keen runner who is struggling, big time. I've been fine, injury free and happy running for years with my usual event being a half marathon or full marathon distance. However, recently (since i turned about 30) I've had injury after injury and I'm struggling to get any distance. This year, I started after a long break (maybe about 12 months) after having problems with my ankles. I worked my way up to about 11 miles and bang, swollen ankle etc. again and I'm back having treatment (massage, ice, heat, stretch and strengthen all the usual).

Basically I'm thinking of finally trying the barefoot running stuff with either a minimal shoe or a five finger type. apparently they are the best way of running injury free (if you believe the Born to Run stuff).

I was curious if you had any experience with re-occurring injury's and ever tried barefoot running? Generally really what you think about it?

Many thanks
Gareth

Answer
Dear Gareth

This Orthopedic Chicago Podiatrist located in West Loop 60661, Roscoe Village 60618, Ukrainian Village 60622, Elmhurst 60126 & Bartlett 60103 says,
Your best bet is to see a sports medicine doctor & see what's causing the swelling. If it's overuse secondary to being overweight or over-activity---then start with those two issue first. The shoes won't make a difference-unless your foot biomechanics are not optimal ( high arch, low arch, etc ) then possibly a custom made orthotic for running. Also try a sport with stretching, to mix in with the running. Perhaps Yoga. This will help keep you flexible. Most runners that I know are all tight-no matter how much they stretch,
Hope this helps &
Good Luck!

Dr George Tsatsos,Dr Svetlana Zats, Dr Mariano Rivera, Dr Ryan Holmbeck, Dr Telva Hernandez & Dr Kevin Massard
Chicago 60661, 60618 & 60622, Elmhurst 60126, Bartlett 60103 Podiatrists
Board Certified swimming or wearing a knee bin Foot and Ankle Surgery & Orthopedics
New South Loop Location-Chicago 60661

DISCLAIMER:
This information is offered as free advice and as general information. It may not be applicable to the specific questioner and his/her problem.  It is not based on actual knowledge of the questioner or his/her medical history and it cannot and should not be relied upon as definitive medical opinion or advice.  Reliable medical opinion and advice can only be obtained through hands-on physical contact and exam of the patient to establish an accurate diagnosis and treatment plan.  No doctor/patient relationship is created or established here and may not be inferred through answers on this site.  The questioner and other readers must consult his/her own doctor before proceeding or implementing any suggestions contained within this document and answers on this site.  The questioner is only to act upon his/her own doctor’s orders and recommendations. By reading this posting which follows, the reader fully understands and confirms that he/she holds harmless this writer. If this is not fully agreeable to you, the reader, and/or you have not attained the age of 18 years, you hereby are advised to read no further.

Jogging & Running

Dr George Tsatsos