Joint Pain Relief/Dominant arm atrophy

Hi Gary,

A lot going on here in RI as you know and I do think things are looking up :)

I am going to make an appt at Leahy Clinic for an assessment of my right arm and wondered if you might have some insight. I began working with a trainer last October and came to realize that my right wrist and forearm was so much weaker than my left and think it also extends to my upper arm. I do have a mild soreness in my right shoulder  - arthritis ? Appreciate your thoughts.

Big shopping day tomorrow - Pops picking out his new chair! Oh boy!

Hello Joani,

I'm not sure how my dear sister ended up on the All Experts site to ask me a question, but I'm happy to answer it for you.

Over the years I've worked on lots of folks "lose their grip strength" in their dominant hand.  Most of the time it's due to the muscles in the forearm becoming too tight.  When they are too tight they become functionally weak, because they lose their dynamic range, which muscles require to function properly.  So if you release those inappropriately tight muscles in your forearm mostly, but also your hand and upper arm your strength should reappear.
Some PT's will confuse a lack of "functional strength" with lack of actual strength and will want you to do more strengthening exercises, which I generally disagree with.

My free Wrist Pain Relief page has videos that show you how to do it yourself here,
my free Elbow Joint Pain Relief page will show you how to free the elbow and upper arm,
And here's the hand pain relief page as well,

Every week I do this type of work on someone.

Good luck with Pops tomorrow!

Joint Pain Relief

Gary Crowley

I can show 95 percent people how to relieve or eliminate their own joint pain for basically every joint in their body. 95 percent of joint pain, even chronic joint pain, is due to the shortening and tightening of tissue around joints. I show people how to release that tight tissue that is causing their pain. Every joint and every person is unique, but the principles to free yourself from pain are the same in 95 percent of cases.

I've been a Chronic Pain Relief Specialist for over 23 years, and have worked with over 25,000 bodies.

Stanford University The Rolf Institute for Structural Integration