Joint Pain Relief/Crunchy knee flexibility

I am 60 years old, 5'8", 130 lbs. Both my knees are "crunchy". I haven't been able to bend my knees completely for years. Sitting on my heels is impossible. A doctor recently told me that my knees are so bad that I will eventually need bilateral knee replacements.

Aside from keeping my weight down, is there anything I can do to preserve my degenerating knees? Should I work to increase my range of motion by forcing my knee to bend more, or would that cause more damage.

I can do straight knee exercises, but anything with a bent knee (squats, lunges) is out for me.

Many thanks,

ANSWER: Hello Delia,

Sorry to hear about the knees.  The good news is that I do think I can help you.

It sounds like you have A LOT of really tight soft-tissue compressing and compromising your knee joints.
The good news is that you can release that tight tissue and give you knee joints more room to function.

Here is my free do it yourself Knee Joint Pain Relief page,
Follow along with the videos, maybe even have a friend work on the areas the way I show
you if you have a hard time with some spots.

Here is my Chondromalacia Knee Pain page as well.  It's a lot of the same techniques,
but I say things a bit differently sometimes, so might be worth a look.
I think you just have a lot of tight tissue that needs to be released.  You can do it!
I do hope this proves helpful.

All the best,
Gary Crowley

QUESTION: Thanks for your reply, Gary. I just wanted to be sure I wouldn't be doing more damage than good by forcing my knees to flex more. I have seen your site before, too.

We have more than one thing in common, I see. I also volunteer for AllExperts in the field of radiology. And, I am also an SBIer. :) I'm about to put my site ( up for sale since I'm moving from Santa Barbara.

Thanks again for your reply,

Hi Delia,

I would be very careful about forcing your knee to bend more.  You can do it gently without much worry, but not sure you'll get much improvement.  If you are too aggressive I do think you could damage things.
Yes, SBI has been fun.  Did everything myself.  Learned a lot.  And help a lot of folks with my videos.

I hope I answered your question this time around ; )

All the best,
Gary C.

Joint Pain Relief

Gary Crowley

I can show 95 percent people how to relieve or eliminate their own joint pain for basically every joint in their body. 95 percent of joint pain, even chronic joint pain, is due to the shortening and tightening of tissue around joints. I show people how to release that tight tissue that is causing their pain. Every joint and every person is unique, but the principles to free yourself from pain are the same in 95 percent of cases.

I've been a Chronic Pain Relief Specialist for over 23 years, and have worked with over 25,000 bodies.

Stanford University The Rolf Institute for Structural Integration