Joomla CMS/Joomla URL

I have a Joomla website that has a Mailing List plugin called ACYMAILING.  It works good, but I would really like to change the name of the site.  I want to change the url.
#1: It is a small site with only a few pages.  This should be pretty easy right?
#2: How will this impact my newsletter within that ACYMAILING which currently comes from ?  I want it to come from the new url.  

Thanks a LOT for your insights.

I need to confirm a couple of assumptions:
- This is Joomla 1.5/1.6/1.7?
- You actually want to change the domain name only of the website, is that correct?

In this case you shouldn't have any problems just moving the website onto a different domain, simply by changing the settings in your hosting control panel.

The website should work out of the box on the new domain name. In regards to old email newsletters that may link to the old domain name - this is actually not a Joomla specific problem.

What I would do is decide on how long you want to support the old domain and make sure it is renewed and hosted for that time. I would then redirect all URLs on the old site to the new site as they are. This means that newsletter links will transparently go to the new site, even if they were linking to the old site. There are roughly 3 ways to do this:

1) Your hosting company has a redirection setting that can be actioned through their control panel.

2) If you have vhost access you need:

<VirtualHost *:80>

3) if you have only .htaccess at your disposal, but have mod_redirect active:

RewriteEngine   On
RewriteCond     %{HTTP_HOST}    ^www\.oldsite\.com$
RewriteRule     ^/(.*)$$1     [QSA,L]

If any of my assumptions are incorrect, let me know please.

Hope this helps.  

Joomla CMS

Jochen Daum

From a technology perspective, I can answer questions - as they relate to the Joomla CMS: - Browser compatibility, specifically, as they relate to modern browser versions of Internet Explorer, Firefox, Chrome and Apple Safari, but also related to Mobile phone technology, RSS feeds and related Internet technologies - Site layout planning, such as with wireframes - Content planning including how to set up categories, subcategories, sections and the like - User access control planning and implementation - Image, file, video (Youtube) and link management - E-Commerce including product categories, products, product pricing including multiple pricing categories for retail customers, wholesale and resellers - Intranet and other set-ups that require login - image galleries, banner management and other mass image management facilities In regards to specific Joomla components we can asnwer questions regarding - Virtuemart, formerly phpShop, but also general advice in regards to E-Commerce components - Jevents, but also general advice in regards to Events management, including for the music industry - RSForm, but also general advice in regards to form management components - Joomfish, but also topics of IP Address detection, country targeting and other techniques to show content dependend on user location and profile - Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin integration - Custom integration with any other computer system - Custom database integration - Ignite Gallery, but also other image galleries - Custom development of templates, components (such as calculators), modules and plugins - Developer advice on how to manage source code, backups, servers and related technologies

I have been developing websites for Mambo and then Joomla since 2003. We currently manage a portfolio of several large scale Joomla installations for major businesses, which are world-leaders in their specific markets. Furthermore, have provided mentoring services to Joomla component developers and advise developers and businesses alike on long term development strategies and management of source code, features, backups and intellectual property.

Linkedin, Xing, BNI

I hold a Masters degree, computer science from Darmstadt University of Technology, Germany. My majors were Crypography, Databases, Software Engineering and computer networks. More importantly, I have been a passionate and successful business owner of a web development company, Automatem, now into its 7th year.

Academic Colleges Group Philips Selecon