Journalism (newspapers/magazines)/Political Bias

QUESTION: Was there ever a time when political candidates didn't consider the media to be biased far too much in one extreme or another?

ANSWER: I don't have exact figures on that, but I would have to say that ever since there have been political candidates -- in the United States and elsewhere -- there have been accusations of political bias. It's the nature of the beast. A newspaper or media outlet reports from a particular point of view, and if that conflicts with the candidate's view then the charge of bias will surface.

It's not a new phenomenon, and I don't expect it to go away any time soon.

QUESTION: Is there anyway to prove relative unbias? Too many people still rely on Fox news or consider MSNBC a news source more than a commentary source.

Some news organizations run stories that are basically fact checkers and impartially examine what a candidate says. Some news outlets also have what's called an ombudsman, who examines how newspapers and other media cover the news.

People do rely on certain organizations for the news, but savvy people will sample as many outlets as they can to get a more balanced picture of what is going on.

Not sure one can always prove unbias, no matter how hard a journalist tries.  

Journalism (newspapers/magazines)

Robert D`Angelo

I am a copy editor who has more than 20 years experience in editing newspaper and magazine articles. Much of my career has been spent editing sports copy, but I also am capable of editing non-sports and technical copy.I am an avid sports trivia fan, and a collector of baseball cards. Another hobby I enjoy is genealogy. I believe I have some experience in all three of those areas.

I have been a sports reporter and/or copy editor since 1979. Worked as both in Stuart, Fla., from 1980 to 1988, serving as assistant sports editor from 1984 to 1988. Have been a sports copy editor at The Tampa Tribune since 1988. I also have edited magazines in the areas of golf, auto racing, soccer, and information technology.

Received a bachelor's degree in journalism from the University of Florida in 1979.

Was a 12-time winner from 1982 through 1988 in Florida Sports Writers Association writing and design contests. I served as president of the Florida Sports Writers Association in 1989-90, and served as first vice president (1988-89) and second vice president (1987-88).