Judo/Questions

SubjectDate AskedExpert
Making throws work at a longer distance10/4/2015Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: Ohlenkamp Thank you very much for your time, I am sorry if this question is a bit out of your ...
  A: As you noted, there is no way to tell from the video exactly what he is doing with his lower body, ...
Hip replacement and judo8/8/2015Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: Greetings Sensei Ohlenkamp, I am 55 and have trained various martial arts since 1973. I am ...
  A: I have had 3 different different types of hip prosthesis, and am happy to share what I know. As far ...
Atemi waza in Judo7/23/2015Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: Mr. Ohlenkamp, I would like to know how should I practice the atemi waza in judo. We practice atemi ...
  A: Atemi waza in judo is generally only practiced in kata and for self defense as you are doing. There ...
Throw identification?5/23/2015Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: Ohlenkamp. Thanks for your time. I have stumbled across this throw in an old text-book. It seems a ...
  A: I would classify this technique as a left side osoto otoshi. While osoto otoshi is usually applied ...
Tai sabaki in judo?10/28/2014Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: Ohlenkamps, thank you for your time first of all, it’s very grateful to have senior judoka’s ...
  A: Tai sabaki is an often overlooked element that is crucial to success in applying judo throwing ...
Black Belt7/31/2014Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: I've been training for my Black Belt in Canada. They will call out 3 moves from the following: ...
  A: There are online resources that can help you, as well as books of course. Judoinfo.com has images of ...
Judo principles vs edged weapons?5/16/2014Tim J. Kader
  Q: Ellis. Thank you very much for your time. My question is kinda a bit more off to the martial art ...
  A: As a Judoka since 1985 and a police officer for many years, when the subject of facing a edge weapon ...
Attacking judo?5/16/2014Ed Carol
  Q: Carol Thank you for your time. I was doing some research and came to the statement that a major ...
  A: Judo is a sport.....sort of. Mostly it is a method of studying JiuJutsu without injury. Most Judo ...
Judo principles vs edged weapons?5/16/2014Sammi Harrelson
  Q: Harrelson. Thank you very much for your time. My question is kinda a bit more off to the martial art ...
  A: So sorry this took so long, I was gone over the weekend and when I got back I tired 3 times to ...
How would you realistically use judo physics against edged weapons? Or does it totally not work for that type of fight?5/16/2014David J. Ellis
  A: Let me start this answer by stating any martial art taught well will say don't put yourself in a ...
How to counter a neck crank.7/11/2013Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: Ohlenkamp. It's a pleasure to be able to ask you a question, so thank you. My question is that in ...
  A: A neck crank is not really that easy to apply from that position. If I am doing nami juji jime ...
History. Is judo sport or martial art.7/10/2013Ed Carol
  Q: I am recently being confused by an ongoing debate. Some people are claiming that Jigoro Kano ...
  A: I have read a number of books on Judo and it's development. I have also read a number of ...
pain in hip6/15/2013Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: I love martial arts especially Judo but this problem still comes up in the front of my hip joints. ...
  A: Of course, it is impossible to diagnose your specific problem enough to be sure what the pain comes ...
Uchi Mata1/29/2013Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: great name by the way :) I was wondering why uchi mata is such a difficult technique? Being so ...
  A: I don't think uchimata is such a difficult technique. It is usually taught after harai goshi and ...
judo or bjj1/1/2013Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: Hi i am 79kg 165cm ex rugby league player would i be more suited to judo or bjj?
  A: Sorry, but there is a lot more to consider than your size in deciding whether judo or BJJ is better ...
HWxRpUskviBuEdRSm3/9/2012David Daley
  Q: dit :There are some fascinating dealdines on this article however I don’t know if I see all of ...
  A: I'm sorry but I don't understand what you are asking. I see you are from Germany so I can only ...
Coaching1/8/2012David Daley
  Q: I am a brown belt judoka in Zimbabwe,i woul like to know what level can i start coaching judo to ...
  A: There are a lot of parameters that need to be addressed. Are you talking about an organized club ...
Age for starting judo9/14/2011Ed Carol
  Q: Sir i am 18 if i start judo now can i compete with people who r practising from the age of 14
  A: In Judo there are no losers. Each class makes you better than you were before. By working out with ...
instructor9/2/2011Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: i have been learning Judo from my black belt father for over 5 years. i have no official rank and ...
  A: Although laws in different states may vary, there are generally no legal restrictions on who may ...
rank8/13/2011David Daley
  Q: How does one advance in rank in judo and the martial arts? Is there a rigid system in place where ...
  A: Yes, Judo is regulated through two world wide organizations. The USJA and IJF. The requirements are ...
Judo and aikido7/4/2011Ed Carol
  Q: Are both judo and aikido based on the same concept, redirecting your opponents energy, or turning ...
  A: One of Jigaro Kano's first students came up with the art of Aikido and many high ranking Judo people ...
Training for speed5/23/2011David Daley
  Q: i just researched a lot read all bruce lee books appllied them all but i cant get the lightening ...
  A: You do know that Bruce Lee was not a Judo Player. I can give you several ways to help your speed. ...
judo sacrifice throw methods5/18/2011Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: normally in a judo sacrifice throw, uke lands head to head with nage. is it possible that uke will ...
  A: In normal judo practice the demonstration forms of sacrifice techniques all end as you describe with ...
Fresher3/29/2011Peter Boyes
  Q: My age is 23 years. i want to learn martial arts, is it good starting at this age or any ...
  A: Judo is good for any age as a 'sport', but it's self-defence techniques have been diluted for the ...
Left or right hand grip?3/26/2011David Daley
  Q: My name is Ferdinando and I am a yellow belt judoka. Recently I became confused regarding my grip. ...
  A: Confusing for you? I'll bet your opponent is more confused. lol It really does not matter if you ...
Judo12/4/2010Tim J. Kader
  Q: What is the difference between sport/olympic and kodokan judo? Seems Olympic/sport is about 80% ...
  A: Danny, There is no age limit for JUDO, unlike other martial arts that require you to be able to ...
shoes12/4/2010David Daley
  Q: I never understood why judo is practiced barefoot. Sambo, wrestling and even boxing practioners wear ...
  A: I didn't say we wore shoes on the mat. I said that the dirt on the mat flew in the eyes. That is the ...
shoes12/4/2010Sammi Harrelson
  A: Your welcome Danny; the ironic thing is I've seen more people get their toes hurt in wrestling and ...
Judo w/ BJJ info12/4/2010Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: I've just begun studying Judo. I'm reading a few Judo books but there seems to be a lot of info ...
  A: Yes, most of the technique info online regarding BJJ applies to judo as well. However there are also ...
Judo for Overweight Persons11/16/2010Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: Can a person in their 40's who is 100lbs overweight join Judo for the first time to get back in ...
  A: Judo is great for getting into shape. It can be physically demanding, but beginners can progress at ...
Competing9/20/2010Sammi Harrelson
  Q: Hi can I compete in regional and national tournaments if im not a citizen of the US or can I just ...
  A: Good question and I'm not real sure. First are you a member of a judo club in the States? If so and ...
JUDO6/5/2010Peter Boyes
  Q: I an about 1.75 meters tall but I'm 13 years old (57.100 kg) so most of my opponents are shorter ...
  A: I believe you should always have 3 throws that you are working on - your current favourite, the ...
Taking Down Giants3/27/2010Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: Mr. Ohlenkamp, In your opinion what is the best strategy to open up larger opponents when they want ...
  A: It is difficult to answer such a question because it depends a bit on the circumstances. For ...
Judo issues2/14/2010David Daley
  Q: I am 42 years of age, in very good physical condition(according to my Dr.) 5'-7" 165lbs. I am ...
  A: Either you are misinformed, or you have a judo club that is breaking the rules. In the strictest ...
judo points1/25/2010Peter Boyes
  Q: I am very confused with how points work in compitions. I do not mean as in scoring points but as in ...
  A: Andrew, yes, the points structure can be very confusing especially as it usually changes in the ...
competion points1/25/2010Tim J. Kader
  A: Andrew, I am sorry, I don't get into competitions. I know that every federation's scoring is ...
Judo Following Hip Surgery1/20/2010Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: I'm wondering what experience or advice you might have about returning to judo following hip ...
  A: I have had a total hip replacement and returned to judo. My ceramic hip is not perfect and causes me ...
judo throws1/5/2010Peter Boyes
  Q: what judo throws work for a short partner against a tall partner with long limbs? what judo throws ...
  A: I'm a believer that at any stage in your Judo career you should have 3 current throws that you are ...
Judo for Children11/16/2009Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: My 5 year old son has started to show an interested in the Martial Arts. I have taken him by a ...
  A: It is fine to begin judo (or another martial art) at age 5 if it is in a class that is geared for ...
A Return to Judo11/16/2009Neil Ohlenkamp
  Q: I was driving down the street yesterday and passed a sign about Oxnard Judo for Children. After ...
  A: I know Hayward well. He is a great teacher. You are welcome to visit our class and practice with us ...

Page:    1  |  2  |  3  |  4  |  5  |  6  |  7   |  Next       All

Judo

Neil Ohlenkamp

Top Expert on this page